• Zielgruppen
  • Suche
 

History of Parkhaus

1874:

The farmland in the fieldmarch Herrenhausen, which is purchased for 7500 "Thaler Courrant" by Wilhelmine Möhle has an extent of three-quarters of a morgen.Opposite the orchard of the "Herrenhäuser Gärten" a building with turrets, terraces and large halls arises under the care of the architects Ludolf and Heussner. It comprises a restaurant and concerts take place in it as well.Due to its location, the building is denoted as "Restaurant Parkhaus" in the Herrenhausen adress-book.

1880:

The innkeeper Wilhelm Graeve buys the Parkhaus. Like the Tivoli, the Bella-Vista and the Odeon it is one of Hannovers dance halls in demand: This is the time of coffe-house-concerts, stiff hats and hen-parties. The Parkhaus is especially popular with the soldiers stationed in the area, since it is a good place to take their girlfriends out to.

1891:

In 1891 under the banker Moritz Simon, the Parkhaus experiences an expansion. The banker incorporates it into the area between "Nienburger Strasse", "Herrenhäuser Kirchweg" and "Alleestrasse". Particularly the restaurant is expanded. This reshaping is conducted by the contractor and architect Max Küster.

A map of Hannover from the year 1896 displays the Parkhaus on the acute crossways of the two roads "Appelstrasse" and "Nienburger Strasse". A stone tablet at the entrance to the building gives Max Richter as the architect, however dating the origin to the years 1894/95

1905:

It is unfortunately impossible to discern from the files in the municipal archives, who bought the house after the death of Mr. Simon.

1914:

The brewery Linden acquires the building, which is still being put to use as a dance- and concert hall. As the "Hannoverscher Anzeiger" wrote in 1926 saxophones "whined" there in the so-called golden twenties; the garden and terraces were ever well-frequented.

1943:

Bomb-hits destroy the great hall and other parts of the building in July of 1943. The city council confiscates the Parkhaus. Only the kitchen-area remains intact and is put to use as air-raid shelter.

1957:

In 1957 the married couple Oppermann become the new tenants. The next few years are affected by skittles players from the various clubs in Hannover.

1965:

With the end of the last tenancy begins a new chapter in the history of the Parkhaus: The "Technische Hochschule Hannover" takes over the building. The great hall and restaurant make way for lecture-theatres and small offices. Instead of music, dancing and good cuisine, teaching and research take over. The side-wing located on "Appelstrasse" is rented by the university (then: "Technische Hochschule") for the chairs and institutes of electrical installations and control technique, nautic machinery as well as metrology in mechanical engineering.

1966 (January):

Cultivation gets suspended. (from newspaper article: "Niedersachsen will das 'Parkhaus' kaufen", Hannoversche Presse, 14th of June 1966).

1966 (October):

The civic lager-brewery ("Gilde-Brauerei") sells the Parkhaus to the federal state Lower Saxony.

Today:

Apart from the institutes for energy supplies and high-voltage engineering, phytogeography, landscape conservation and nature protection, the institute for measurement and control engineering has taken up residence inside the premises of the Parkhaus.